Home italy Italy Around The Web: Weekly Roundup

Italy Around The Web: Weekly Roundup

written by M.E. Evans September 17, 2015

Italy’s Highest Court Explains Decision To Clear Amanda Knox: “ROME — Italy’s highest court said Monday that the case against the Seattle resident Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend — whose convictions in the 2007 murder of a British student were definitively overturned in March — was marked by “culpable omissions of investigative activity” and “‘contradictory evidence'” that raised reasonable doubt of their guilt.”

I’ve followed the case for some time and while the evidence doesn’t seem to prove her guilty beyond reasonable doubt, that woman has shark eyes. She might not be a murderer, but she’s still creepy as hell. And Italy? Don’t you have protocol for-oh, wait? No, clearly you don’t.

THE DEMOLITION MAN-New Yorker “Italians who admire Matteo Renzi call him “our best hope.” More skeptical Italians say, “Well, maybe our only hope.” The Western press hedges its bets with “brash” but “confident.” And his enemies use the term il rottamatore, the demolition man. Renzi agrees with his enemies. “I’m the scrapper,” he told me. “I’m cleaning up the swamp.””

I’m not for or against Renzi but I’m interested in him and his career. From an outside perspective, it seems like he’s got the right idea in some areas. If he’s able to do what he hopes to do (fix the economy) then maybe Italy can become a real country again instead of the mess that Trump, I mean, Berlusconi left it in.

The Queen, aka, Beyonce, Frolics in Italy With Her family: 7 Photos From Her Trip To Italy-ABC “It’s been a romantic few weeks for Beyonce and Jay Z, 42, who wrote on his wife’s website on her birthday that the song “Yellow” by Coldplay reminded him of her. “This song reminds me of you and me on vacation,”” he shared. “‘Look at the stars; look how they shine for you.’ So many legendary nights. It represents vulnerability; it’s us in our own world, away from work and totally lost in love.”

Awe, a fan of their work or not, they’re a cute couple. So cute it kind of makes me want to barf, but with love.

World’s Saddest Dog Begs For Forgiveness “In a video uploaded to Facebook, an Italian man’s dog begs for forgiveness for whatever it’s done. Bowing its head and giving so many one-sided hugs, the shamed pooch knows that it’s in the wrong.”

I love dogs. Dogs are my favorite. This video is adorable and kind of sad. I’d like to add that animal behaviorists don’t actually buy into the “guilty,” dog thing. Researchers actually believe that dogs are amazing at reading body language so they’re actually responding to knowing that something “bad,” is going to happen to them when you display anger or body language that the dog understands as being upset. Also? Oliver doesn’t have a guilty face. When he does something bad he displays it proudly. “Look mom! I ate the garbage!” Sigh. Dogs.

2C61918400000578-0-image-a-201_1442407602815

jencvt2002 September 17, 2015 at 11:06 am

Yep, Knox creeps me out, too…

Ishita September 17, 2015 at 8:01 pm

She creeps me out too. Perugia became famous for the wrong reasons!

bonniegm September 17, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I followed this case from beginning to end and my husband and I have had loud discussions regarding it! I believe she is culpable in some way only because of how she acted during the whole time. She never looked/acted like a terrified, innocent who was going to be tried for murder in a foreign country. At times she seemed to regard it all as a kind of personal party. Bleh!! My heart aches for Meredith’s family whose lives are shattered forever. Meanwhile Knox made millions off of People Magazine/book and movie deals. Che schiffo!!!!

GirlinFlorence September 18, 2015 at 2:53 am

That dog video though… 🙂

Marcello September 18, 2015 at 3:09 am

“I’m not for or again Renzi but I’m interested in him and his career. From an outside perspective, it seems like he’s got the right idea” – And from and rational perspective, the first statement is in contradiction with the second.

Anyways, you might want to take him to the US. After all, he’s more American than Italian: he slashed workers’ rights, privatized state-owned companies, he is financed by banksters and big companies, his “role models” are Bill “Get Under The Desk” Clinton and Tony “I Hate Labor Unions” Blair. Finally, his “cultural” pillars are American TV shows like “Happy Days” (that’s why he’s called “fonzie”) and House of Cards. And he’s fat too.

He’s ready for some new show about fake wannabe-Italians, maybe a new Jersey Shore season. Take him where he feels home. Per favore.

M.E. Evans September 18, 2015 at 8:02 am

Marcello, you need to calm down, buddy. I’m not for or against him. I don’t have a strong opinion either way and I have no interest in supporting his career or speaking out against it. However, some of his policies wouldn’t be all that terrible for the economy of Italy (as I noted, from an outside perspective). He can’t possibly be worse than Trump, er Berlusconi. And? All politicians are backed by banks and assholes.

2cents September 22, 2015 at 2:45 am

How nice to see someone so strongly bound to solid stereotypes

M.E. Evans September 24, 2015 at 9:02 am

You’re welcome.

Ilona September 22, 2015 at 6:15 am

and even worse: he came to power illegally!
Despite that, I saw him as the last straw for Italy, but today I think that hope is gone. The major change for Italy has to come from the Italians,… but with their mentality of furbizia … I don´t know.

Chris September 18, 2015 at 6:33 am

Innocent ’til proven guilty . . . . . surely a crucially important tenet of Western society. So . . . . If found not guilty we must take her to be just that as, surely, we don’t see ourselves as judge, jury and executioner (without having seen the evidence). Besides . . . . just look at the judgement and you will see that the Prosecution’s case was rubbish (i.e. non-existent).

Awww..Watch This Dog Asking For Forgiveness From His Owner .. | 9Hues September 19, 2015 at 6:17 am

[…] Italy Around The Web: Weekly Roundup […]