Home food Living In Italy: Cassino And More Food (Another Six Hour Lunch)

Living In Italy: Cassino And More Food (Another Six Hour Lunch)

written by M.E. Evans December 14, 2013

As most of you know, I’ve been in Cassino with my in-laws (HOLY FUCKING SHIT!) for nearly two weeks now. We’re staying here to spend time with everyone before we head to the US for the holidays and to take care of some ‘MERCA things (like me trying to get Surviving In Italy published in book form! WOO HA!). But don’t worry! I have many-a-posts saved for you, plus I’ll be posting about importing F for a minute (should be good). Anyways, two weeks with the in-laws is a long time even if your father-in-law is Jesus Christ and your Mother-In-Law is Mother Theresa which mine ARE NOT. They are actually borderline insane who I love even if my father-in-law keeps calling me a “fucking retard” and my mother-in-law keeps telling me that my hair is ugly (when do I get sainted?). Acceptance is one of the first steps to recovery, my friends.

Whew. Anyways, all that F and I do here is eat, drink coffee, hide in the bedroom, and protect Oliver from my in-laws who think he needs “more discipline” and believe they are “helping” us by brandishing a broom at him. The one good thing about it all is that they are giving me so much fodder for my blog AND really great food shots with the series of SIX HOUR LUNCHES we’ve attended this week. The food is generally amazing but so, soooo much of it. Viola! Here is a lunch that went from 1-6 . Someone bring me Pepto.

La Tavola

La Tavola

Salad. Okay, it's SALAD but I liked the shot.

Salad. Okay, it’s SALAD but I liked the shot.

Polenta. Mmmm.

Polenta. Mmmm.

More Salad. I'm SORRY! STOP YELLING AT ME!

More Salad. I’m SORRY! STOP YELLING AT ME!

BABY BIRD STEW. What. The. Fuck?

BABY BIRD STEW. What. The. Fuck?

Wild Pheasant

Wild Pheasant

Bread with salame baked inside

Bread with salame baked inside

Wine is not complete without cheese puffs also known as FONZIES.

Wine is not complete without cheese puffs also known as FONZIES.

DSC_0257

Detroit to Deutschland December 14, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’d have to have a power-scooter if I ate that food because it looks delicious and I’d never stop and I’d become Walmart obese! I’ve enjoyed your last posts, made me laugh 🙂 I especially love (and this is for a different post obviously) how you took a picture “at” your husband’s ex. I could seriously picture it and it made me smirk.

M.E. Evans December 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Seriously! I gained 4 kilos at their apartment in 2 weeks time. Yeaaaah, with the ex thing, I still don’t understand what I was trying to accomplish. I’m pretty sure that a normal person would have had a less dramatic and weird reaction to it but I’m fairly awkward and usually my “trying to be normal” comes out being super weird instead. In retrospect it’s funny though.

Damian Byrne December 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I will be moving to Rome next year and your blog has been such a dose of reality – have laughed through every entry and worried about what will happen. But realise that it will, eventually, all work out. From a Brit-Aussie to an Ameritalian – just have to grin, make light and enjoy. Am so excited and you are helping me keep that alive.

chirose December 14, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Everything looks delicious.!!

M.E. Evans December 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

They definitely know how to cook. One day I’ll learn. Maybe. First step is not burning things. LOL

missjanenextchapter December 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Loving your blogs….. I too am in Italia due to my love of my Italian boyfriend from Napoli. Im Australian, so I relate and laugh with your blogs. We are currently living in Alessandria in the north. 🙂

M.E. Evans December 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Ah the southern boys! They are so annoying but so bloody cute, right? 🙂 How long have you been here?

missjanenextchapter December 19, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I’ve been in Italy for about 4 months. My southern hottie and I met in Spain walking the El Camino de Santiago. Crazy how life works out eh?! 😉

ela December 18, 2013 at 4:11 pm

OMG it looks really delicious…except the baby bird stew that I don’t get :)))))

joejoe December 27, 2013 at 7:09 am

good woman and good love

18 Differences Between Living In Italy And The United States | December 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

[…] Living In Italy: Cassino And More Food (Another Six Hour Lunch) (survivinginitaly.com) […]

David Alfe January 10, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Tell me about it! On our second day in Naples with my newly ‘discovered’ relatives, we were kidnapped and taken to pranzo at a very nice outdoor restaurant and hotel near the beach town of Pozzuli. Eight freakin hours of non stop food. antipasti, pizza, pasta, fish, pasta, fish, salad…on and on. Compounding this some of the seafood courses contained polpo (octopus) and calamari that my wife refuses to eat. needless to say to avoid an international incident, I was ‘finishing’ her plate! Madone! The next evening after a ‘modest’ dinner at another cousin’s place when we returned to the hotel I was on the toilet for the remainder of night. Lesson learned, as my Nonno used to say “Eat little, eat well, eat often”

M.E. Evans January 10, 2014 at 6:50 pm

That sounds about right! I spent 2 weeks with my in-laws and gained 8 pounds. IN TWO WEEKS.

Foraging, Toxicplasmosis, And Eating Until You Die In Cassino, Italy | Living In Italy.Moving To Italy. Loving In Italy. Laughing In Italy. November 14, 2014 at 4:13 pm

[…] Living In Italy: Cassino And More Food (Another Six Hour Lunch) […]

Foraging, Toxoplasmosis, And Eating Until You Die In Cassino, Italy | Living In Italy.Moving To Italy. Loving In Italy. Laughing In Italy. November 14, 2014 at 4:23 pm

[…] Living In Italy: Cassino And More Food (Another Six Hour Lunch) […]