Home C.O.S.I. Blogging About Italy Is Hilarious: Comments, Emails, And Humans

Blogging About Italy Is Hilarious: Comments, Emails, And Humans

written by M.E. Evans July 18, 2014

When you have a blog you know that there is a slight bump in traffic on days when you get a lot of angry comments or really fun, enthusiastic ones. On this blog I’m extremely lucky in the sense that our little community is fucking awesome, people are sweet and fun. Most of my comments and emails are simple questions about traveling to Italy or moving abroad. The number one question is: How do I find a job in Italy? The answer is: You don’t. I address most of these in my FAQ section. Check it out! And feel free to ask me anything, anytime, I try my best to respond to everyone. Sometimes the comments I receive are so nice that I’m elated for days (thank you so, so much). Almost everyone who arrives at Surviving is part of a really fun-loving tribe (except for that lady that just called me a liar, she’s just an asshole). Now, you guys know me, if I get a particularly mean comment I have a tendency to post it here and comment back for fun (I can’t help myself, remember that crazy misogynist?). Luckily, I don’t get too many jerks here.

My favorite comments/emails are the really personal ones where I get to learn about my readers (seriously, please share about yourself, I love it), or the really random or really unique emails that leave me smiling or mildly confused. Come to think of it, a lot of my unique or random emails/comments are also important life-lessons.

Can You Spot The Garden Gnome?

Can You Spot The Garden Gnome?

TOP FIVE MOST ENTERTAINING COMMENTS/EMAILS I’VE EVER RECEIVED:

Love Can Overcome All Obstacles:

1. “Hello. I love your blog!  So, I hope this isn’t overstepping any boundaries but I have a question and I really need your advice. Here is the backstory: I’ve recently started dating an Italian man! He’s amazing! We haven’t had sex but we have fooled around and I realized that he’s not, you know, cut. Which is fine! I’m totally okay with it and everything but I don’t know what to do with it! Like, how do I touch it? Is it different during sex? Oral sex? How the heck!? HELP!”

Loyalty And The Importance Of Having Ones Back:

2. “OH HELLLL NO!? DID THAT MOTHAFUCKA JUST REALLY SAY SOM SHIT!? Grl! I dont know why he be trippin! Dont you put up with that shit from nobody! I swear, I be on a plane headin to Italy to take care of that mo-fo! Nuh-uh, no sir. I WILL STAB A BITCH!”

The Economics Of Marriage:

3. “American woman!  How I marry an american too? Can you give advices? I am very nice. Not so tall but I am very nice. I do not have many mony but I think Americans women don’t care like Italians? This is true? Do you have friends?”

Choosing Your Friends Wisely:

4. “This email will be short. I just wanted to tell you that you’re an asshole; an adorable asshole.”

Where There Is Good Food, There Is Great Company:

5. “SPAAAAGHEEEEEETTTTTTTIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

This post is a C.O.S.I Collective Post. To See What The Other Members Of Our Expat Mafia Have To Say About The Same Subject Check Out Their Posts!

‘Freakonomics Italian Style‘ – Rick’s Rome

How Not to make friends in a foreign country‘ – The Florence Diaries

Quirky Questions About Life In Italy – Unwilling Expat

‘Best Email Ever Received’  – Englishman in Italy

It Really Is C.O.S.I – Married to Italy

Can You Get Me A Visa?– Girl In Florence

Andrea, female - name often confused with Italian Male - English born, Italian wannabe July 18, 2014 at 4:47 am

Misty, you do it every time, sat here enjoying my last day, and 3rd trip this year, in Italy, trying to work out when and how soon I can return, soooo pissed off as I have to return to the UK at daft o’clock tomorrow, I’m howling laughing – mwah 🙂

M.E. Evans July 18, 2014 at 11:07 am

Awe! Thanks Andrea! What part of the UK do you call your home? How’s the weather in your neck of the woods?

Andrea, female - name often confused with Italian Male - English born, Italian wannabe July 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I live in the North of England in a hilly region called Saddleworth, it’s between Manchester and Leeds in the county of Yorkshire. Really enjoyed watching the opening stages of the Tour de France recently, all those fella’s in Lycra! Weather is lovely at the moment sunny and mid 20’s.

Freakonomics Italian Style, the costs of a Bella Vita in 3 parts July 18, 2014 at 8:08 am

[…] ‘Blogging about Italy is Hilarious‘ – Surviving in Italy […]

Expat Eye July 18, 2014 at 10:18 am

Ha, those were great! I’m nice. Will you marry me? 😉

M.E. Evans July 18, 2014 at 11:01 am

If you wear leopard print leggings.

Expat Eye July 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Oh god, that might be my one deal-breaker 😉

Mani (A New Life Wandering) July 18, 2014 at 10:22 am

Oh this poor, clueless man: “I do not have many mony but I think Americans women don’t care like Italians?”

M.E. Evans July 18, 2014 at 11:09 am

Right? Part of me wanted to give him a hug, the other half wanted to send him an LDS dating site for meeting brides. WHAT!? I KNOW! I DIDN’T! 😉

M.E. Evans July 18, 2014 at 11:10 am

Also, you need to write a cookbook! Your recipes are kind of amazing. I’m always hungry after I stop in on you.

Mani (A New Life Wandering) July 18, 2014 at 11:26 am

That’s an awesome thing to say. Thanks. 🙂 It’s funny cause I never really shared my blog with close friends and family and sometimes I post my food on fb where they see and they keep commenting “you should start a food blog!” . My blog is not just a food blog, but if only they knew… hehe

Maxine Monaco July 19, 2014 at 8:21 am

I am in Hamilton Ontario Canada ! I am laughing my head off at your blog! They are all great and I love having a coffee and reading them. I have been married to and Italian fifty one years and boy I have had my share of experiences! For years I thought my name maxine translated to “mangiacake”. Have a great weekend!

Packing my Suitcase July 20, 2014 at 8:06 am

hahaha loved the idea of you sharing these comments…they are hilarious! Ive never received any crazy comment..so far hhaha 😀

Cassandra July 29, 2014 at 4:15 am

What the…?! I’m still stuck on question number one–people can be so ridiculous!

Harmony à la Carte July 30, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Love it! As always. #3 cracks me up.

Anthony August 17, 2017 at 2:10 pm

I’ve kind of been stalking your blog for a little while simply because Italy interest me. Love the language, culture, food. All that jazz.
Just wanted to say that I’m also an American(from Utah as well btw) living abroad and married a non-american, different country though, Brazil, Rio de Janeiro. But I like your blog and hope that I get the chance to experience living in Italy someday. Keep doing what your doing.