Home living abroad Italian Hand Gestures And Awkward Rambling

Italian Hand Gestures And Awkward Rambling

written by M.E. Evans November 22, 2013

This is really awkward. I probably should have drank wine first because I was really nervous. Anyways, it’s the first time I ever filmed myself (and what is going on with my hair again?). Enjoy!

chirose November 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Love it.! And I totally agree – I need a big cup of coffee too 🙂

M.E. Evans November 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Thanks babe!

chirose November 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm

you’re welcome 🙂 Love the video idea by the way.!

Janice Robinson November 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm

You HAD do do it by video, so give us some more of them. Btw, you were on the right track because they had to use gestures since there were so many dialects and cultures. I was using the slapping one for awhile as a wave, oops! I am so amused by my friends’ gestures though not everyone uses them. Here in Sardinia they use fewer, and less often than in sicily for example, i find especially in the south they use them. And of course in Brooklyn! Ha!

M.E. Evans November 22, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Hello love! Thank you for stopping by! I’m definitely going to do more videos. Next time I’ll be drunk, I hope. 😛 Yes, I would agree that gestures are more prevalent in the south, although, my Florentine friends use them a lot too and so do my friends in Brescia. 🙂

Detroit to Deutschland November 23, 2013 at 6:20 am

Ha, I didn’t know that there were so many different gestures – you do them so well. I haven’t seen very many hand gestures since moving to Germany but there is one that is done so often that I adopted it too. It means the person you are talking about is crazy or what they are doing/did was stupid. The movement is taking your index finger and poking yourself in the forehead while you are talking about them with your eyes open really wide. It’s like: “Oh, did you hear that Helga got pregnant again? Yeah, she thinks that’s going to save the relationship!” *poke* *poke* *poke* Great video, enjoyed the gestures! It’s gotta be like a constant game of charades over there trying to figure out what the hell people are trying to communicate, fun!

Andrea November 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

I’m italian and you made me laugh a lot..what you say it’s totally true !

marfy November 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

If you want and Italian to stop talking, have him sit on his hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.E. Evans November 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

Right? I’m not sure what would happen to my husband if I stopped him from using his hands. Interesting idea for an experiment.

iaia761 November 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I laughed and laughed and laughed.. You’re SO into Italian hand gesture!

Avi November 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Omg you’re the best! Wait till you have kids, then it’s really shit hitting the fan…
Anyways I shared your 25 things about Italy since they’re one by one whole true.
Good news is at a certain point you just stop caring and start drinking, having your stories on the side and not sharing your shit to friends and family. Just like them!

Davide Dado Pannone November 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Probably because we have so many years of history and so many other culture and people passed through italy. So not always you could communicate using words but with gestures, that somehow worked out.
I’ve noticed tho that most of mediterrean culture’s countries uses alot of them.

Just my 2 cents tho, i really don’t know if thats THE or one of the reasons.

Alessio Bianchini November 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Hi maybe all of you already know this video, maybe some one finds it very racist….. but any time I see it I laugh loud 🙂 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhuOicPFZY

andreafolli December 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm

wonderful. sometimes you spontaneously make hand gestures, that’s the way girl!

nickitza December 13, 2013 at 1:26 am

Misty, Eric and I just watched this and laughed our asses off. You’re fantastic and beautiful. Please please please make more videos about hand gestures and also Italian accents! Please!

Seo Service August 2, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Great info. Lucky me I found your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
I’ve saved as a favorite for later!