Home stories Cagne, zoccole e troie: slut-shaming in Italy By MapleLeafMamma.com

Cagne, zoccole e troie: slut-shaming in Italy By MapleLeafMamma.com

written by M.E. Evans September 26, 2013

I’ve talked about Italy’s crap ranking when it comes to the treatment of women on here once or twice.It’s abysmally low and every two days, TWO DAYS, a woman is beat to death by her husband or boyfriend here. Italian women are fighting a long upward battle to be regarded as something other than a nice piece of ass, baby factory, or personal chef. The role of a proper Italian woman is a bizarre dichotomy that is nearly impossible to explain in one post. Italian culture has long embraced the “sexy” and “fire cracker” ideal woman in the likes of many Sophia Loren roles but there is also a strong influence from the Catholic church and other conservative influencers that shames women for being sexual. I read a study a few years ago that said that over fifty percent of interviewed women only had sex with their husbands because it was an obligation but not because they enjoyed it. Clearly, Italy is a little behind much of the first world when it comes to women’s sexual freedom.

I came across this article today and I had to share it. It’s brilliant and so relevant not only to expats in Italy who want to raise their kids not to SUCK but for people everywhere both men and women alike.

“Hopefully this grassroots shift will start teaching Italians that you can like sex and be a feminist too, seeing as they seem to commonly mistake feminism for prudish moralismo. And believe me, I get how much more attractive it is to side with the sexual freedom fighters if you’re faced with a ridiculous false binary like this. Especially because Italians have this gift for making sex appreciation verge on the holy. There is something intoxicating about it if you aren’t sexually repressed. As I’ve mentioned before, I discovered how to celebrate my feminine side here, and it felt wonderful. The shitty, confusing and ultimate paradox for women in Italy is how we are at once raised on a pedestal and made to feel like second-class citizens.”

To Read The Full Article: Cagne, zoccole e troie: slut-shaming in Italy

Michelle September 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Misty. I’m truly honoured by the shout-out. It’s comforting to meet, albeit virtually, someone who gets it. We need to get a drink sometime 🙂

M.E. Evans September 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Michelle,

It’s my pleasure to share it. Great article! I’m definitely on the same page. Oddly enough, I sent your article to my husband (who is italian) and told him to read it. He wrote me back, “holy shit! I thought that you wrote this for a while because it is exactly like the stuff you always say.” I would love to grab a drink. Tell me when/where and I’ll be there.

Michelle September 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I love it!! OK, I’ll be in touch privately.

Expat Eye September 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I’m still reeling from the second sentence. Unbelievable.

M.E. Evans September 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I was very shocked as well.

Naphtali September 27, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Again Misty, I have caused a problem by referring a few Italian males to this article as well the previous one about Mama’s Boys. This one took the cake; I asked and I received mix responses about it. Some guys just said they are sorry that this is their culture, some beat around the topic and the third ….. I quote ” You look for random links, u also believe in Ufos if you believe this, I live here never heard of this in my whole life , it’s because you live in America you believe this”.
Please keep the knowledge flowing.

M.E. Evans September 27, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Men. lol. My husband and some of my Italian friends that are female all agreed that this is a very real problem in Italy and they also said that the article was very accurate. But, you have to take into account that some people can understand their culture and it’s downfalls and some can’t because they are not educated in the area or they are defensive about their homeland. This goes for Americans as well. If you ask a typical American, middle class, news watching American male if Americans are sexist he would say “Oh, no! No way! Feminists are insane! We are totally equal” yet, women statistically make 25% less than men, and there are internet attacks against women all the time where American men threaten to rape women into submission (rape culture much?), physical violence is still a large problem, as well as sexual crimes, not really an equal society if you go by the facts. There are opinions and then there are cultural facts that have been researched and one of those facts is that Italy is one of the lowest rated countries in Europe regarding the treatment of women. Physical violence is a massive problem and it’s one that cannot be denied. Women are culturally objects still and it’s incredibly visible. The same goes with the other parts of the article. The madonna whore complex has been extensively studied by psychologists and is known by the textbook to be a largely ingrained in Italian culture. The direct quote about how he doesn’t “believe” in it, just sounds like he doesn’t educate himself a lot on social problems.

Michelle September 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Couldn’t have said this better myself, thanks Misty.