Home travel My Travel Bucket List For 2018

My Travel Bucket List For 2018

written by M.E. Evans January 1, 2018

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE! Thank you, a million times for supporting me here, for commenting, for sharing my stories and yours, showing up, and being a part of this weird journey with me. YOU ARE THE BEST AND I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!

2017 was an incredible year in a lot of ways. I had some personal setbacks, recovered from a nervous breakdown, and all of that fun stuff. But, all of that panic, fear, depression, and tears triggered a lot of introspection, inspired me to get help, and now I’d say I’m the healthiest and possibly the happiest I’ve ever been. I learned a lot about myself and grew a lot as a human being. I learned how to communicate better and because of this, I will not kill my husband by way of fork anytime soon.

I have no idea what I’m doing here but there was vodka. Happy New Year!

I traveled, so much, had a wonderful time and will be eternally thankful for the experiences I had on my journeys. I went to New York, Las Vegas, Italy, Hawaii, Salem, and Boston, just to name a few. I checked a number of things off of my bucket list, bought a wand in a wand shop in Salem, meditated on the beach in Hawaii, and thanked the universe for blessing me with the ability to see so much of the world and meet so many interesting people.

You guys know me. I basically travel to stalk humans in the world. I love watching people.

This is kind of how I ended up launching my travel podcast, Bad Travel. I love stories, I love to travel, I’m completely fascinated by people. Put that all together with my whacko sense of humor and you get a podcast about shitty travel experiences. No, it’s not Eat, Pray, Love. It’s better. It’s a great way to laugh with others, to relate to less than ideal circumstances, and to learn above all what NOT to do when jet-setting.

But 2017 is over. It’s come to an end and with that brings a new year, new goals, new hopes, new dreams, and new travel experiences. And, hopefully, a newer improved M.E.

My Travel Bucket List For 2018

• Croatia: I’ve been all over Europe and have somehow still not been to Croatia. This must change.
  • Iceland: How have I never stepped foot on the land that created Bjork?
  • Maui: I can’t get enough of Hawaii. It’s like a magical paradise of calm beauty that reminds us of what the world could be like if we stopped mucking it up.
  • Dana Point, CA: Ladies trip mutha fuckas! I can’t wait to enjoy some sun and the CA cool with some of the greatest women in my life. Ladies I met in my weird journey in Italy during graduate school.
  • Road Trip Through the Southern United States: You guys, I’ve NEVER been to the south. And I’m dying to visit New Orleans, South Carolina, Atlanta, the works! There’s so much to see and so little time. It has to be a road trip.
  • Milan: I’ve never spent much time in the north of Italy but I’d like to (possibly) live in Milan in the future so, naturally, I need to stalk it out. Who wants to hang with me in Milano? Do some shopping? Take photos of humans? Wine? Things?
  • Argentina: I want to take tango lessons in Argentina. It’s a thing I must do and I can’t explain why. I WILL DO IT.
  • New York: Always on my list
  • Florence & Rome: Also, always on my list because of FAMILY and well we spend a ton of time in Italy.

What about you guys? Where do you want to go, see, do? Tell me in the comments below! I want to know everything about your travel dreams for 2018! They can be as realistic or fanciful as you want. Dream big, yall (I’m practicing for my road trip).

Leigh Miller January 1, 2018 at 1:08 pm

I I will be back in Italy in a month, and definitely up for coffee/wine/humanstalking! I have spent most of my time living in Veneto, and only a few days in Milan.

Valeria January 1, 2018 at 1:18 pm

My bucket list includes Iceland, too. Almost booked a trip last year in fall when you can help round up sheep on horseback in the fall. This one is only 2 days of riding.
https://tripguide.is/product/4-day-sheep-roundup-horse-riding-tour/ Hot tub and drinking Icelandic liquor is the evening pastime. It doesn’t mention the drinking though… My life has changed somewhat the past year (not in the best way), but I am hoping to start traveling again in 2018!

christinecrews January 1, 2018 at 2:30 pm

I share your thoughts about Hawaii and your podcast sounds bomb! I’m like a walking bad travel story ha. Maybe eventually I’ll get realistic and stop aiming for the eat pray love travel perfection. I’m glad your husband is in less danger of forks! Mine (also italian) hmmm…sometimes ha. happy new year!

bruce n klassen January 1, 2018 at 4:49 pm

So, we have lived in the South in the winters for 6 years. You must visit Charleston, SC. (Lots of recommends for you). We spent three months in Croatia in 2017. The most beautiful country we have been to visit…Split is fab (again, lots of recommends). We were in NYC same time you were in 2017…stayed in the East Village 2Ave and 3rd, amazing location…always on our list too…gret Peruvian place across from #60 2nd Ave. San Clemente CA right next to Dana Point is home for me. Go from Dana, one beach South, and you will come to a lovely town. Lots of gret restaurants, a great Pier, have a marg. Great main Beach (lots of recommends).
We want to do Sardinia or Canary Islands in 2018, and then maybe back to Portugal for the winter.
Keep on Truckin’
Bruce

Juliet January 1, 2018 at 5:14 pm

IIceland is fabulous – the tiny bit I have seen, went with the husband and we are actually still married despite him standing and pontificating about all the geomorphology (no I am NOT one of his effing students) before he sighed and said in a sad voice that he likes sandstone over volcanic anyday. I think I’d really like it if I went with a friend next time. my list for 2018 includes New Zealand – I am going home to visit the nearly 90yr old mother who has been going to “die very soon” for the last 45 years, basically I am expecting 2 weeks of house arrest at her place and being told what to eat and when to go to bed, by all means come with me I am happy to share the pain. Where I’d like to go this year includes Ravenna,and Bologna and some more of Frances (yes I know it is a big place). I am hoping to go with a friend who has been studying (therefore skint) and is my bestest travel companion – I’d go anywhere with her

Caroline C January 1, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Buon anno!!

You blog posts make me laugh to tears and then it gets awkward when people thinking I’m crying on the train/subway to work. You stories bring some semblance of sanity to my life with my Italian husband and his amazing (but super involved) family from the Lazio region.

Wish you a happy, healthy start to 2018!

beverlymillson January 1, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Hey! You’ll be happy if you add Austin to your Southern U.S. tour. More excellent live music than any soul can deal with. Darling, smart, funny people. The food? Zagat just named it the second best food city in the USA. And NOLA is just a FUN 9 hour drive away.

imlostinmilan January 1, 2018 at 11:57 pm

You could ask to Tia Taylor since she is one of your fans

Diane Oui In France January 2, 2018 at 12:40 am

Happy New Year! Iceland is on my travel list to and has been for about 5 years. Doh! I’ll get there one day. Maybe 2018 will be my year. 😉

Leda Meredith January 2, 2018 at 8:59 am

In 2015 I left my beloved New York City to live with my boyfriend-now-husband in Israel. In 2017, we closed up his business and our home there, bought a camper van, and started driving down from California to Costa Rica. Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua (we sort of skipped Honduras), and now Costa Rica…It has been a gorgeous and crazily challenging time. Next up: 14 family members arriving on vacation to visit while we are still living in a camper van and I have a book deadline in two months. Should be fun (hah!).

Wynne January 2, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Croatia and Iceland long on my list as well! Can’t wait to see Dubrovnik, etc. in Croatia, and to experience the thermal springs in Iceland. Milan felt a bit like NYC to me, so I’ll need to go back and explore more of it – 3 nights wasn’t enough.

And of course, Italy – always Italy. If you’re there Q4 this year, I’d love to finally meet up! That is, unless you hit NYC prior…

M.E. Evans January 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Wynne, I’ll be in NY in Feb or March!

Wynne January 2, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Woohoo! If you’ve time, hit me up for drinks/coffee/whatev. I can send you my phone number in FB.

Drea January 3, 2018 at 9:20 am

Can’t wait to hear what you think of Milan. Lived there for 2 years after marrying the Italian husband (now we are in Chicago). I’ve heard it’s more internationally friendly than living in other places in Italy… but I’ve never LIVED in any other part of Italy, so I can’t say. What I can say is that my all time favorite Imperial Chinese and Lebanese restaurants live there, so it’s alright by me. (favorite outside of their own countries of course).

Mia January 4, 2018 at 7:17 am

I’ve recently made the big jump from the east coast of the US to Milan for my job with my husband and two children (by children I mean our two dogs..) If you end up in the city for a while I would be thrilled to show you our favorite spots and give you lots of wine to thank you for this blog’s existence, which was a great comfort to me during the inevitable pre-move freak-out. Happy 2018!!