Home travel 5 Steps To A Non-Conventional Night Out In Florence

5 Steps To A Non-Conventional Night Out In Florence

written by M.E. Evans May 6, 2014

English: Florenace, Italy at night, seen from ...

So you’re either on vacation, you’re an expat, or you’re a student, you’re maybe new and looking for something to do for a night out. I’m not big on the clubs in Florence because most of them are just creepy and rapey. My husband and I have a sort of spring/summer designated date night every weekend that I love, particularly because it’s something so specific to Florence. It really doesn’t work the same in other countries or cities. So, if you’re looking for something to do besides the usual dinner out, here’s an idea or two (especially helpful if you’re new to the city).

1) Get bikes. Throw something to sit on (large scarf or mini travel blanket) and a bottle of wine in your bag.

2) Hit Sant’Ambrogio for aperitivo (a cocktail and snack) around 6:30. Sit our stand in the little square, have a drink and a light snack.

3) Ride your bike to Giuggiolo. Eat your face off (but not literally, this scenario shouldn’t involve bath salts or other drugs that prompt zombie behavior because ew).

4) Hop on your bike and cruise to giardino della fortezza. Lay under the stars. If you’re with friends chat and watch other people do the same thing. If you’re a couple, make out or go ahead and make a baby! It’s Italy, nobody cares about your PDA!

5) Drink your bottle of wine. Peddle drunkenly home, or be like me and walk your bike half way, then sit down and whine “this is too hard,” then throw your shoes and wander off to pee somewhere.

ALTERNATIVE IDEA FOR THE LAZY DAYS

1) Ride your bike to Santa Spirito

2) Watch your wallet and purse because shit always gets jacked there.

3) Have aperitivo and dinner in the piazza, or nearby, though there are a few great places right in the square. Eat your face off and drink a bunch.

4) Hang out in the Piazza with all of the other Florentines who are there. Get to know some people.

5) Peddle home awkwardly.

What would you add to this list? What’s another good idea for an alternative date night (something other than dinner out)?

OTHER THINGS!

Announcement If You Are A Writer/Blogger In Tuscany!

The Sigh Press, a literary magazine for English writers in Tuscany is currently accepting submissions. They take fiction, nonfiction, flash fiction, poetry, and artwork. If you’re a writer and looking to submit, or if you’re a reader and looking for something interesting to read, check them out: The Sigh Press

Random Things I Found While Looking Around:

This Capybara Being A Badass

The Strangest Best Friends I’ve Ever Seen

Enhanced by Zemanta

Expat Eye May 6, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Ahh, you even make random peeing sound romantic 😉

M.E. Evans May 6, 2014 at 6:07 pm

You know, it’s a gift. 😉

GirlinFlorence May 6, 2014 at 8:45 pm

a girl after my own heart — love these ideas (especially when they include drinking) – lets meet up soon!

Diane May 7, 2014 at 12:24 am

I honestly am addicted to your Blog. I found it doing research on Italy. I’m going there in Sept. My friends tell me I’m going to fall in love with an Italian man!! lol. Being Italian myself,(American Italian) it is so funny to hear your stories. Everyones conversations with their hands, food, mothers ( I’m a little guilty of being over mothering with my 30 years son, who is married) and my daughters have learned to cook,(well i try to teach them, we are in America) keep a clean house and take care of the family!! Although my daughters are very educated and indepedent. Which I have also taught them!!! I love my daughter in law, we do have a good relationship. My question is What is PDA?? The P I know the A I think I know the D???? Also any suggestions for my trip to Italy. starting at Amafi Coast going up the boot.

Diane May 7, 2014 at 10:58 pm

By the way, my kids told me what PDA is. I really don’t know what i was thinking i knew what it was!!! Duh!!

M.E. Evans May 8, 2014 at 1:27 am

hahahaha! I’m sorry! I haven’t had a chance to write back sooner. Yes! PDA, public display of affection. Lots of making out in public (and other things lol).

M.E. Evans May 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Thank you Diane. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the blog. Let me know if there is something else in particular you’d like to know before your trip. Which part of Italy are you going to?

littlespoonsway May 7, 2014 at 10:49 am

I’m moving from a two-year stint in Japan (the polar opposite of Italy) to Florence this Fall. My god, as amazing as number 4 is, the delightful culture shock that will wreak havoc on my heart…

Tiana (@TianaKaiMiami) May 22, 2014 at 9:29 am

I love my bike—until the chain broke in a weird way, gotta fix it! Nice that you added Giuggiolo, it’s 4 blocks from my house, love it on hangover Sundays. Have you been to Godò, fried brains yumz.

M.E. Evans May 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

Hmm, never been to Godò, but Giuggiolo is my favorite place. My husband actually took me there for our third date as well. It was the place that he told me, “If you’re not interested in a serious relationship than find someone else.” WOW.

First Time On Surviving In Italy? | Living In Italy.Moving To Italy. Loving In Italy. Laughing In Italy. September 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

[…] 5 Steps To A Non-Conventional Night In Florence […]