Home stories 31 Reasons You Would Be Better Off In Italy

31 Reasons You Would Be Better Off In Italy

written by M.E. Evans August 26, 2014

1. You love pizza. Honestly, you love all carbs.

Mamma mia la pizza!</p><br /> <p>smilingfork:</p><br /> <p>Margherita Pizza<br /><br /> Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆ (easy)<br /><br /> Yield: 8 slices<br /><br /> Ingredients:<br /><br /> 1 cup (6 ounces) of water<br /><br /> 1 packet of active-dry yeast (if using instant yeast, you don’t need to dissolve it during the first step)<br /><br /> 3 cups (10 ounces) whole wheat or unbleached all-purpose flour<br /><br /> 1/2 tsp salt<br /><br /> 4 tablespoons brown sugar<br /><br /> Toppings:<br /><br /> 1 cup artichoke hearts<br /><br /> 3 cups tomatoes, chopped<br /><br /> 1/4 cup oregano, destemmed<br /><br /> 1/4 cup basil, destemmed<br /><br /> 1/4 cup parsley, destemmed<br /><br /> 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese<br /><br /> 3/4-1 cup mozzarella cheese<br /><br /> Olive Oil<br /><br /> Parmesan cheese<br /><br /> Directions:<br /><br /> Between 30 minutes-1 hour before baking, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. If you plant to use a baking stone, place it in the middle of the oven. Add lukewarm water to yeast and whisk and stir yeast thoroughly into water. Allow the yeast a few minutes to dissolve. Measure flour into a mixing bowl, add salt and use your hand or whisk to combine. Pour water-yeast over flour mixture and use your hands or a wooden spoon to combine. Turn dough onto counter with extra flour and knead until flour is incorporated. Roll onto parchment or pizza stone in whatever method you know best.<br /><br /> Brush dough with a little olive oil and add all ingredients except cheese. Bake for 5 minutes and rotate pizza 180-degrees. Bake for an additional 3 minutes and then sprinkle cheese over top. Leave in oven an additional 3 minutes or until the edges of your pizza are golden and crispy.<br /><br /> Remove pizza from oven and cool on wire rack for five minutes.<br /><br />

2. Good wine is more important to you than lots of money.

3. Tiny coffee is your favorite way to start your day.

amberanda.blogspot.com

4. Flowers in windows were made for you.

RickZullo

RickZullo.com

5. You love dogs (and don’t mind occasionally stepping in shit).

Sperlonga, Italy

Sperlonga, Italy

6. Frolicking in vineyards has always seemed like your calling in life.

wikipedia.org

7. Have you always wanted to drink wine on church steps at night? Or anywhere for that matter?

Santa Croce

Santa Croce

8. Your feet are destined for great things like walking on hand-chiseled cobblestone.

thecinderellaproject.blogspot.com

9. No, but seriously, you really love food. You’ll stab someone over some pizza.

glee.wikia.com

10. You’re really good at talking with your hands.

swide.it

11. You’d spend all day at a Farmer’s Market if you could.

almosthijau.wordpress.com

12. This I Love Lucy episode was your favorite…

closerweekly.com

13. Soccer is pretty much your favorite thing ever.

Getty Images

14. You’ve dreamed of marrying an Italian man

D&G

15. Or an Italian woman

16. It’s your dream to drive a tiny car

nationalgeographic.com

17. Maybe even a little scooter.

topleftpixel.com

18. Having your dog pose with youagainst beautiful backdrops is kind of a big deal.

19. You just really like to relax and hang out wherev.

www.Italymagazine.com

20. Italian music makes you feel like dancing

musicroom.it

lettura43.it

21. You’re not afraid of a little passionate yelling.

Haagan-Daaz

22. Growing up you always thought about becoming an artist

wikipedia.org

23. Or maybe you’re just a huge fan of chest hair

24. You don’t really care about quality television or the image of an old pedophile gawking at a teenager doesn’t make you vomit in your mouth.

Reuters.com

25. Going out at night with friends, regardless of age, whether or not you have kids, is something that you’d love to take part in.

comune.fi.it

26. Public kissing is pretty much your favorite thing.

Couple kissing in Florence

27. Intense eye contact makes your panties/boxers drop.

siriusly-delectable.tumblr.com

28. The beach is always calling

www.secretitaly.it

29. Gourmet sandwiches are on your list of things you need in your life on the daily.

jforjackie.com (this picture is of two panini from i fratellini, my favorite sandwich place in Florence).

30. You’re a lover of breathtaking architecture and the suburbs suck the life our of you.

The Duomo, Firenze

The Duomo, Firenze

31. You crave simplicity and innocents among chaos and contradiction.

Florence,Italy. survivinginitaly.com

Florence,Italy. survivinginitaly.com

Park in Florence. survivinginitaly.com

Park in Florence. survivinginitaly.com

Singing, "That's Amore." Alixanne Loosle. Survivinginitaly.com

Singing, “That’s Amore.” Alixanne Loosle. Survivinginitaly.com

Always something about fascism. survivinginitaly.com

Always something about fascism. survivinginitaly.com

Lyn August 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm

only 31 reasons, I love them all

Mani (A New Life Wandering) August 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Although a few I’d say no, most of them I’m super in. When can I move to Italy?

M.E. Evans August 27, 2014 at 9:34 am

Anytime! Just pack on up. 😉 haha.

Nichol August 26, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Yes please. Especially #14! 😍

Danielle August 26, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Yes, yes and more yes!

Sara Stoll August 26, 2014 at 8:03 pm

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Living In Italy.Moving To Italy. Loving

Lisa Kramer Taruschio August 27, 2014 at 1:14 am

31. You crave simplicity and innocents among chaos and contradiction–and don’t care if you lose what you once had of your native English language skills as long as you are in Italy.

M.E. Evans August 27, 2014 at 9:34 am

True. Long gone is my native tongue. I sound like a drunk baby.

unwillingexpat August 27, 2014 at 5:28 am

And there are so many more reasons … for and against too!! (was that your Francesco with your dog ?… Ahat a pair of posers!?! 😉

M.E. Evans August 27, 2014 at 9:33 am

That was F with Oliver. My next post is going to be the opposite post about how Italy probably isn’t for you if…LOL

monique August 27, 2014 at 12:10 pm

REALLY!!!!!!! Maybe reading a chapter of “Under the Tuscan sun” but in reality complete load of bull! I brought my 2 children to live here 6 years ago and it was the biggest mistake of of life. The house I bought has become a tax burden not an investment, impossible to sell now. Cost of living is the highest in Europe, there are NO JOBS and the men are self-centred mommy-boys with no concept of respect. People are not hospitable and there are so many immigrants its frightening sitting in the Piazza…… Great for a holiday if your sticking RICH RICH RICH!!!!

M.E. Evans August 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Monique, everything that you’re saying is fairly true and I’ve written about all of that, too. However, none of that makes any of these 31 points “untrue.” I didn’t say that “Italy was the best place in the entire world for comfortable living,” nor did I imply that marrying an Italian man wouldn’t have baggage. It simply says, “You’ve always wanted to marry an Italian guy.” Nowhere in these 31 points did I make a sweeping claim that Italy is heaven on earth (honestly, if you’re familiar with my blog even remotely you absolutely know that isn’t the case). However, Italy does have some nice things along with the bad.

M.E. Evans August 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I also think you’re being really judgmental about the immigrants. They’re usually super sweet (and only selling things to earn money for their families) and they’re often very helpful if you take the time to get to know them. Plus, you yourself are an immigrant.

GirlinFlorence August 27, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Seriously you need to submit this article to buzzfeed Misty, I love it! Especially #2 and well just about anything, come to Florence already damn you!

Cindy August 28, 2014 at 6:42 am

I would love to go back for a visit but the reality is men speaking in italian are my kryptonite. The second they open their mouth to say something I’m a goner… Doesn’t matter what they’re saying i think it sounds amazing. My husbands the same with women speaking Spanish. So we Can’t live in Spain or latin america either.

Packing my Suitcase August 28, 2014 at 9:13 am

hahahahaha I just hate coffee and would like to step on dogs shit, even from my dog….but the food and the wine and the beach and.. hahaha awesome list 😀

T. August 29, 2014 at 3:51 am

Excellent reasons (most of them). I love your blog!

sexliesandnutella August 29, 2014 at 5:23 am

Great points! Amongst the chaos, it’s nice to occasionally remember the many good reasons we call this place our home.

First Time On Surviving In Italy? | Living In Italy.Moving To Italy. Loving In Italy. Laughing In Italy. September 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

[…] 31 Reasons You Would Be Better Off In Italy […]

Linda girardin September 19, 2014 at 3:09 am

Hi, have just discovered your blog and can relate to so much. Have been in Italy since April travelling from Torino to now Gaeta. What’s your thoughts on the buses and trains? I used to think pretty damn good now after waiting 2 hours for a bus in a village near Frascati, ferry to Ponza a no go, is it a southern Italian thing and will it get worse as I head to Puglia?

M.E. Evans September 19, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Hello Linda! Thank you! I’m so glad you’ve found the blog and our fun little community. I haven’t taken many trains in the south, although I have heard that they are less reliable. Sounds like a great trip! Keep me updated! I’d love to hear about your experience.

Belle October 27, 2014 at 8:35 am

So this has made me super, super excited!! I am moving to Florence in just under five weeks and can’t wait for ALL OF THESE THINGS! But seriously, fab post I love your blog! x

Venus November 16, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I am glad that I have found you. We are thinking of making the move. My mother was born in Bari and I do have family there. Looking forward in reading all your old and new posts.

Agnesina May 16, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Aww I have the same shot of balcony at Piazza Navona <3 Great article, so true!

www.joshualance.com June 6, 2015 at 5:12 am

I booked a plane ticket to Rome for late-September. I’m an American artist/ESL teacher. I would like to know who I should contact once I get there. I would love to live my grow my career as an artist as well. I would set up my easel to paint on the streets to sell my art to stay there.

bangor71 June 6, 2015 at 5:20 am

Hi M.E., I’m an American artist/ESL teacher living in Taiwan. I’m planning on visiting Italy in September, I already booked a one-way ticket and plan to leave a good teaching job, yet I want to advance my art career and hope what I’m doing isn’t foolish. I don’t know much about art markets in Italy, but since art is beloved here, I feel I have a better chance than Taiwan. I just want to at least make the right connections and meet other artists as well.

M.E. Evans June 6, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Hello! There is a Facebook group, Creative People In Florence. It’s an amazing group filled with incredibly talented people who can offer you loads of information. 🙂 Good luck!

bangor71 June 6, 2015 at 10:56 pm

cool, thanks!

Tsha Marie April 1, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I love all 31!!!

EXPECTO (A REALLY LONG BLOG POST TODAY) PATRONUM – msumassmedia2016 June 13, 2016 at 10:58 am

[…] Mom and Dad, I’m not saying I want to take a year off right now to go work and find myself in Italy… but if you think it would be helpful?) […]

orangejuice June 30, 2016 at 7:23 am

Sorry, but it doesn’t seem to me that american television is so better. I mean, many american trashy programms have been imported in italy like jersey shore or things like that. I’m not saying italian tv is not trashy, there’s a lot of trash but it seems funny to hear that from an american mouth. Plus, if you want there are very good programms like documentaries and “educational” channels, like rai cultura, rai scuola, rai letteratura, rai 4 (where you can find theatre and many art documentaries) and of course all the other channel you can find everywhere like history channel etc etc… Plus, italians are not ok with pedophiles, your assumption is totally out of the world.

M.E. Evans June 30, 2016 at 8:03 am

An old man, staring at a teenage girl who is prancing around the stage nearly naked, is a pedophile, in my opinion.

snowmoonelk September 8, 2016 at 4:20 am

That “old man” is that Jose Mourihno, you are talking about?

André September 16, 2016 at 9:21 am

Non ho mai letto questo sito prima d’ora, ma devo dire che vedere l’Italia dal tuo punto di vista, che ci sei venuta a vivere, è interessante. Riscopro cose che do per scontate del mio Paese e che mi piacciono moltissimo.