Every year I get a lot of questions from readers who are taking a trip to Italy about what they should wear. In the summer, it can be a lot more difficult for Americans to blend in. We are, often, a people of comfort. Half of the US stopped putting on real clothes a long time ago, wearing only yoga pants or gym shorts with flip flops. There’s nothing wrong with comfort, but if you’re looking to fit in, you certainly won’t do it with that outfit.
A VERY EASY STYLE GUIDE FOR ITALIAN SUMMER STYLE:
1) Never wear flip flops unless you’re at the beach or near water (a pool, for example).
2) Booty shorts and a spaghetti strap tank top is not considered an outfit unless you are a prostitute. You can wear booty shorts with a real shirt, or, a spaghetti strap with pants. If you’re entire outfit is skin tight and tiny you’ll stand out as a foreign human, and possibly a hooker.
3) Guys, I say this always, but please, burn the damn gigantic pants and the basketball shorts. Burn them. KILL IT WITH FIRE! It’s just not sexy. You’d be surprised to know that women actually like to see your ass a little, seriously, so stop hiding it (having it pop out of the top of your size 400 pants doesn’t count).
4) Ladies, match your bag with your shoes.
5) Everyone, get some cute sunglasses. Get a light scarf to accessorize.
6) Throw your Nike “comfy” shoes in the garbage. If you need comfort, get a show that also looks good with clothes.
7) Ladies, you’ll be surprised to find that “summer boots” are in. Wearing short shorts, or skirts, with light colored slouchy boots. They are less hot than you’d think and they look pretty cute.
8) In Milan they do bright colors but for the most part you never see women walking down the street in a bright pink dress. Think neutrals, white, or navy blue. Guys, let your freak flag fly! For some reason the guys dress more vibrantly. However, you can stick with neutrals as well.
9) Guys, you’ll be excited to discover that converse are a stylish “all ages” shoe. Get a pair of white ones for the summer and you’ll fit right in. No, it doesn’t matter if you’re 50.
10) Guys, think, light slacks (that fit you) and a v-neck t-shirt from American apparel. Super cute.
11) Ladies, think flowy dresses, shirt dresses, booty shorts, slouchy boots, big sunglasses, linen blouses, or v-neck t’s. Of course, there is also House Of Ossimori. Wink, Wink.
12) Guys and Girls: Your daytime clothes and your nighttime clothes are different! Change before dinner. Ladies, put on some heels, guys, put on some loafers. Feel free to wear black. Black at night is always in (and you won’t see a lot of little shorts for dinner time ladies, put on a dress or slacks!).
Below are some fun summer pictures of my friends and I running around. I wanted to show basic/casual style so it’s not super fashionista or dolled up. What am I missing? What would you guys add to this list? Put it in the comments below!
These loose one piece things are a thing in black and neutral. Although, its usually older women but Im old on the inside. And my apostrophe isnt working…sonofabitch!
A nightclub in the south.
Showing some color
My husband in his typical summer outfit. His friends tell him that he dresses like a gay boy. I will take that as a compliment, thankyouverymuch!
This is in May so it was still chilly. These are casual day clothes.
Another Italian woman working it. (She’s the only Italian in this picture, everyone else is a tourist).
It is July. Notice the scarf.
My 60 year old MIL. She still dresses really cute. Age isnt an excuse to strap on the Nike runners and large pants. Notice her bag is white and navy to match the dress, she’s also wearing white and navy shoes. Ladies over 50, Italy is your time to shine! Squeeze into something sexy and show off the goods. 😉
NEED More Inspiration? Check Out My Pinterest Page! It’s loaded with Italian and European style pictures. You can’t go wrong with anything there, for any time of the year. Below is a sneak peak of some of the great things you’ll find there. I hope it’s useful!